Instructions for creating a practice INDOT forecast web page
- Log into extremeweathermakers.com
- Find the INDOT_2013-14 folder (click on this link, also should be under "Shared with me" in Google Drive)
- Create a new folder in the Practice Folder section
- Use the your name and the current date and forecast cycle as the name (example: NAME_2014011312 would be the forecast issued from Jan 13 2014, 12Z model cycle)
- In the main INDOT folder, open the "INDOT blank forecasts", "INDOT blank map" documents
- do not edit these, instead...
- Make a copy (under File) of each of these docs/drawings, use the current date/cycle in the file name, for example:
- "Copy of INDOT blank forecasts" becomes "INDOT forecasts 2014011312"
- "Copy of INDOT blank map" becomes "INDOT 2014011312"
- make sure to click "Also copy document collaborators" when making a copy
- In your "My Drive" folder, click on these new documents, and copy them into the new date/cycle folder that you just made (just grab one of them and drop them all into the folder)
- If you need to create extra maps, such as a snowfall total map, simply copy the blank map and create an appropriate file name "INDOT snowfall 2014011312"
- Edit the documents
- map: the probability is your degree of confidence that some winter weather hazard will be observed in the area during the midnight-midnight time period, right click on the color-filled objects and do "edit points" to change the shapes
- forecast: your forecast discussion, which should provide a summary of the expected weather and impact on road conditions, discussion of physical processes and uncertainty. Use the district-specific discussion sections to provide more details on timing, location, intensity, etc. if appropriate. Extended forecast should be more general and focus on the "next storm"
- Download the drawing/map as a png file
- Under "File" select "Download as" and then "PNG image"
- These will be saved to your local computer's Download directory
- Create a new "INDOT Winter Weather Forecasts" webpage
- click on “+ Create page”. This will bring up a list of new page templates, choose "INDOT Winter Weather Forecasts"
- In the “name” box, type in your last name and the date/time of the forecast cycle, this will be the name of your web page. Since we will typically edit the existing INDOT forecast page, these steps are only necessary for creating a practice web page.
- For this assignment, “Choose a different location” and create the page under “test web products” in the “EAPS 434 - Spring 2014” section. Then click “Create” at the top.
- Change the date/time and forecaster name/email at the top
- Delete the image currently in the web page by clicking on the image, then clicking on the "X" on the right hand side of the pop-up box
- click the cursor under the main heading for the forecast map, then click "Insert" then "Image", choose the previously saved PNG file, then upload that to the Google site
- copy and paste your discussion text from your INDOT forecasts document into the web page
- Close all Google docs/drawings, save the web pages