to access surface and upperair data from our NAWIPS system:
surface and upperair data were obtained from the Iowa State GEMPAK archive at:
other potentially useful sites:
- UCAR weather image archive http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/imagearchive/
- SPC events archive http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/archive/events/
- SPC Mesoanalysis archive http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/ma_archive/
- SPC SeverePlot http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/online/sp3/plot.php
- NOMADS at NCDC https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/data-access/model-data
- NOAA’s weather and climate toolkit http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/wct/
- NCDC Global satellite image archive http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/gibbs
- WPC product archive http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/archives/web_pages/wpc_arch/get_wpc_archives.php
- WPC surface analysis http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/sfc-zoom.php
Schultz (2010) on effective writing for case study papers:
sample case study papers (see below for PDFs):
Stensrud and Maddox (1988) "Opposing Mesoscale Circulations: A Case Study"
O'Handley and Bosart (1989) "Subsynoptic-Scale Structure in a Major Synoptic-Scale Cyclone"
Wasula et al. (2007) "Mesoscale Aspects of the Rapid Intensification of a Tornadic Convective Line across Central Florida: 22–23 February 1998"
Corfidi, Johns, and Darrow (2016) "The Great Basin Derecho of 31 May 1994"